Tuesday 22 May 2012

Recent reads.

Snap this up. A cause of both interest and then sadness was the fact that this is based on a true story. However, it is excellently written and brings light to the plight of child trafficking and shows the resilience of one particular child who escapes from Afghanistan to Italy via a few other countries. It is horrifying subject matter but it's not as dark and depressing to read as I might have imagined, and I am guessing that this is because there is a positive outcome for the child. It also conveys the other side of the immigration and asylum issue and as such gives plenty of food for thought. A truly compelling read. The meadow is first in its field. I found this book to be a gripping read because it conveyed the human side of conflict. We are all rather too aware of what happens during wars and what the impact is on people, but this book was a detailed journalistic account of their side of the story. I found it incredibly powerful reading and informative too. They do say that hindight is always 20/20... Cheers for The Chaperone. I already loved the synopsis of the book, but having the character based on the real Louise Brooks was the icing on the cake. It's so well written that I found myself genuinely engaged and interested, devouring this entire volume in a few hours' sitting. I love New York so it was great imagining being in the scenes set there. It was easy to imagine the people, the places and the era, without being out of the grasp of the modern reader. A perfect balance and a perfect read.

No comments:

Post a Comment